Saturday, January 10, 2009

New Mexico, here I come!

Tomorrow at 7:50 a.m. I will be on my way to Questa, New Mexico (near Taos) for the week, buildin' stuff with Habitat for Humanity. I'm a bit anxious right now, because packing does that to me - since we're going to be working in the cold, I'm attempting to stuff an obscene amount of warm clothing (that can get ruined if necessary!) into my suitcase. But I'm sure that once I get on the plane, I'll relax (probably to the point of falling asleep).

Overall I'm really looking forward to the trip. Building is my favorite form of service, because it is so tangible. I am creating something right here, right now, that will have a positive effect on people's lives, and at the end of the week I can see my progress. In my opinion, it's also the best way to get to know people - physically working together on a common goal. While I've done week-long service trips like this (four, actually), it'll be my first time working with Habitat and my first time traveling with a group of Brown students (as opposed to TELOS, my church youth group), so it will definitely be a unique experience. Add to this the fact that it's further west than I've ever been, and that I'll be turning 21 on the third day of the trip, and it may even be an adventure.

So au revoir for the week, and expect lots of stories and pretty pictures upon my return. Bisous à tous!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun down there and happy birthday!!!!

    My friend lives in Albuquerque and has fallen in love with the NM landscapes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :) Yeah, it was absolutely gorgeous down there. Expect a post about it very soon!

    ReplyDelete